Philippines – 178,000 Remain Displaced by Floods in Mindanao

UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (UNOCHA) is reporting that as many as 178,000 people in the Philippines remain displaced by flooding that first struck on 16 January, 2017.

Of those displaced, 20,000 are at 127 evacuation centres while most are being hosted by relatives or friends. More than 1.5 million people have been affected in total since the start of the flooding.

Meanwhile PAGASA has said that Tropical depression “Bising” located to the east of the country has weakened and is expected to become a low pressure area within the next 24 hours. Estimated rainfall amount is from moderate to occasionally heavy within a 300 km diameter.

Image: PAGASA, 06 February 2017

Flooding in Visayas and Mindanao, January 2017

Heavy rain caused by the tail end of a cold front and a series of three low pressure areas between 16 and 27 January resulted in flooding in several provinces of Visayas and Mindanao islands in the Philippines.

FloodList reported that, as of 17 January, 4 people had died and over 13,000 people had been displaced from their homes. Cagayan de Oro City, in the province of Misamis Oriental, received at least one month’s worth of rain within 24 hours.

On 22 January, a second Low Pressure Area (LPA) entered the Philippines. Heavy rain once again resulted in severe flooding to parts of Mindanao, especially the provinces of Agusan del Sur and Compostela Valley.

A third LPA followed on 27 January bringing further heavy rainfall to Mindanao as it interacted with the tail-end of a cold front. The Caraga Region was one of the worst affected areas.

A recent report (pdf) by the International Federation of Red Cross And Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) says that there were 9 deaths in total. The flooding had damaged more than 1,300 homes and displaced at least 334,000 people. A total of 586 houses in the towns of La Paz and Trento (Agusan del Sur province) were damaged.

Parts of Agusan del Norte, Agusan del Sur, Compostela Valley, Davao Oriental, Lanao del Sur and Maguindanao provinces have been declared under the state of calamity.

Philippines Red Cross teams supported evacuation efforts, helped to rescue 16 people trapped in the floods, have provide d welfare services to 140 individuals and served hot meals to more than 14,7 00 people in evacuation centres as of 31 January. A total of 164 staff members and volunteers have been mobilized.

Flood Summary

Last updated: March 3, 2017
Event
Eastern Visayas and Northern Mindanao, Philippines, January to February 2017
Date
January 16 to February 10, 2017
Type
Flash flood, River flood
Cause
Extreme rainfall, Long-term rainfall

Locations

A - Cagayan De Oro City
B - Gingoog
C - Agusan del Sur
D - Compostela Valley

Magnitude

River level
5.79 metres
Iponan River, Cagayan De Oro City - January 17 to January 17, 2017
Rainfall level
205.2 mm in 24 hours
Dipolog - January 16 to January 17, 2017

Damages

Fatalities
9 people
January 16 to February 10, 2017
Affected
334,000
January 14 to February 20, 2017
According to UN-OCHA figures, 151,500 people in Caraga and Davao regions affected and 183,000 people in Lanao del Sur and Maguindanao affected.