Macedonia – Over 20 Dead and 50 Injured After Floods in Skopje

Macedonia’s Ministry of Interior said on Sunday that at least 21 people have died in flooding in and around the capital, Skopje. At least 6 are still missing and it is feared that the death toll could rise further. Police in Macedonia said that over 50 people have been injured in the floods.

A severe thunderstorm brought torrential rainfall during the night between 06 and 07 August, 2016, which left some areas around the city under 1.5 metres of flood water. As much as 92.9 mm of rain fell was recorded in Skopje-Zajcev Rid between 06 and 07 August, according to WMO figures. Other reports suggest that figure was much higher. Most of the rain reportedly fell in just a few hours, overnight.

According to WMO figures, the mean total rainfall for August in Skopje is just 27 mm. In fact the figure of 93 mm means that the recent storm brought almost as much rainfall as Skopje would normally see for the combined months of August (27 mm average), September (36 mm) and October (42 mm).

The floods caused major damage to buildings and the road network, including parts of the city’s ring road. Photos from the Ministry of Interior showed cars that had been swept away by flood water for hundreds of metres. Police said at least 70 vehicles had been trapped by flooding in the Stajkovci area. Police also reported major damage to cars and property, including some homes which have been destroyed.

Floods in Macedonia, 06 to 07 August 2016. Photo: Ministry of Interior, Macedonia
Floods in Macedonia, 06 to 07 August 2016. Photo: Ministry of Interior, Macedonia

The northern suburbs of Skopje were the among the worst affected, in particular Stajkovci and the villages Aračinovo and Creshevo, around 10 km north east of the city.

Police and the military have been carrying out rescue and evacuations operations. The army has also been assisting in building temporary flood barriers along rivers where levels have increased.

Floods in Macedonia, 06 to 07 August 2016. Photo: Ministry of Interior, Macedonia
Floods in Macedonia, 06 to 07 August 2016. Photo: Ministry of Interior, Macedonia
Floods in Macedonia, 06 to 07 August 2016. Photo: Ministry of Interior, Macedonia
Floods in Macedonia, 06 to 07 August 2016. Photo: Ministry of Interior, Macedonia

Floods of August 2015

Almost exactly a year ago, 4 people died in floods in the Polog Region of north-western Macedonia.

Strong winds and heavy rainfall 03 August 2015 caused the Pena and Porojska rivers to overflow, as well as flash flooding and storm damage. The worst affected areas was Tetovo city and municipality, and surrounding areas.

Social Media

Video of the floods from Macedonia police.