Flooding, storms and heavy rain has been reported in several parts of Angola since 06 January 2016, including the capital Luanda, and the provinces of Bié, Moxico and Malanje. At least 2 people have died and over 1,000 displaced.
Yesterday, ANGOP, the Angola News Agency, reported that at least 120 people had been left homeless in the Alto Zambeze municipality of Moxico province. Around 35 homes have been completely destroyed by storms and flooding, while a further 34 have been severely damaged. The Municipal Hospital of Luchazes has also been damaged.
ANGOP also reported that 79 homes and a primary school were destroyed in the city of Malanje, Malanje Province, as a result of 3 days of heavy rain. At least 2 people have died as a result, and around 430 have been left homeless, according to ANGOP. Portugal news agency LUSA says the figure is over 1,000.
In Luanda, 1,700 homes have been flooded in the districts of Viana, Cacuaco, Cazenga and Belas after heavy rain on Monday 11 January 2016. Flooding levels may not be life threatening, but the flood water is making daily life extremely difficult for locals, according to this remarkable photo report by local journalist, Ampe Rogério.
Earlier, around 200 people were displaced by floods and rain in Chipeta commune, municipality of Catabola, Bié province, on 06 January 2016, according to ANGOP. A school was also destroyed.
Instituto Nacional de Meteorologia e Geofísica (INAMET) says that over the next 24 hours further heavy rainfall is possible in central and north-eastern Angola, and very heavy rainfall possible in the south-west.
Thousands of homes were damaged by flooding in Luanda in March 2015. Other areas of the country also suffered severe flooding during March and April last year. Over 60 people died in floods in Lobito on 12 March 2015. Later that month floods in Cuanza Sul left at least 1 person dead and hundreds homeless.







