The government in Nigeria says that thousands have been displaced by flooding in the state of Benue. It is thought that the Benue river overflowed last week after several days of heavy rain, causing some of the worst flooding seen in the state since 2012.
Nigerian President Muhammadu Buhari said via Social Media that over 100,000 people have been displaced. Officials say that 12 local government areas of the state have been affected and around 4,000 homes have been damaged, according to local media. No fatalities have been reported.
On 31 August, Nigerian President Muhammadu Buhari said via Social Media:
“I have received with great concern reports of the flooding in Benue State, displacing, from early estimates, more than 100,000 people. I have directed NEMA to immediately mobilize personnel and resources to the aid of the affected communities and persons.”
Nigeria’s National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) has deployed a humanitarian team to affected areas. Relief efforts appear to be centred on Makurdi, the state capital, and NEMA has been distributing relief supplies there since 01 September.
NGOs are also involved in relief efforts. European Civil Protection and Humanitarian Aid Operations (ECHO) says that the “National Red Cross Society is providing immediate response in terms of food and non-food items. NEMA requested technical assistance from the international community. UNICEF has carried out a quick assessment and is increasing access to drinking water in the two camps.”
As of 03 September, flood water was reportedly receding in some areas, allowing NEMA to carry out further damage assessments.
Disastrous floods in 2012 affected 30 states in Nigeria, including Benue. Over 300 people died and around two million were displaced across the country.
Social Media
Our heartfelt empathy and prayers goes out to the victims of #Benueflood, May God ease their suffering and provide relief to them, Ameen. pic.twitter.com/mNgfep2Vo6
— Rt. Hon. Speaker (@KADAssembly) August 31, 2017
FLOODS: Benue state capital, Makurdi has been flooded after series of rainfall. Residents seek emergency intervention.
Photos:Ibrahim Obala pic.twitter.com/k1azlSkey0
— Sumner Shagari Sambo (@Sumner_Sambo) August 30, 2017
#Benueflood humanitarian work has commenced in earnest, victims are being registered at one of the shelter in Makurdi. pic.twitter.com/625Rn0ETGM
— NEMA Nigeria (@nemanigeria) September 1, 2017
Update: #Benueflood Assessment of flooded places in Makurdi as water receded pic.twitter.com/WL9toj4s5K
— NEMA Nigeria (@nemanigeria) September 2, 2017
The Environment Minister @iujibril today arrived in Makudi, Benue State as part of FG intervention on the #BenueFlood pic.twitter.com/rRyonX2wYs
— Environment Ministry (@FMEnvng) September 4, 2017







