The Association Française de l’assurance (AFA) say that 77,000 insurance claims have already resulted from the floods and that the French insurance industry expect this figure to rise to around 150,000.
In a statement yesterday, AFA said that the total amount of the insured losses is currently estimated at between €900 million and €1.4 billion.
Lessons in Disaster Preparedness and Response
Meanwhile, France has received praise for its efforts in dealing with the flood disaster.
The UN Secretary-General’s Special Representative for Disaster Risk Reduction, Mr. Robert Glasser, yesterday praised the French authorities for the country’s disaster preparedness and on-going response efforts in the face of the flood threat in Paris and other parts of the country.
Mr. Glasser who heads the UN Office for Disaster Risk Reduction, said: “There are lessons to be learned but France’s management of this flood threat has been exemplary and includes the 11-day EU Sequana 2016 exercise in March which prepared for just such an eventuality and mobilised all key institutions and stakeholders in a text book display of how to strengthen resilience across institutions while raising public awareness.
“Floods already affect more people than any other natural hazard so addressing the threat is basic to reducing the humanitarian burden from disasters. Flooding across Europe and other parts of the world is set to increase with climate change and increasing weather variability.
“Over the last week or more, France has given us a clear demonstration of what a whole-of-society approach to disaster risk reduction means in reality.”
“The exercise also highlights the limits of disaster risk management in the built environment as early estimates are that insurance losses will be in the region of 600 million Euros. There is no doubt that the prevention and mitigation measures taken, stopped this from escalating. One notes the remarkable effort to protect world heritages sites such as the Louvre and the Musee d’Orsay and the priceless cultural artefacts they contain.”
French Prime Minister Manuel Valls has announced the setting up of an emergency fund to help victims of the floods. Affected households will be provided with “immediate help for dealing with basic necessities.
“The Government will ensure that all compensation mechanisms are triggered as soon as possible,” said Manuel Valls. The Prime Minister also said that a state of natural disaster will be recognized from the Council of Ministers meeting on 08 June for all affected municipalities.
Dead Toll Rises to Four
In a press statement on 04 June, Prime Minister Manuel Valls said that there had been four flood related deaths. It is believed that a woman found dead in her home in Montargis, situated on the Loing river in the Loiret department, died as a result of the flooding.
On 04 June a 74 year old man on after he was swept away in a swollen river in Évry-Grégy-sur-Yerre, Seine-et-Marne. A woman died in the flooding in Seine-et-Marne department on 01 June 2016. Earlier a young child died in a flooded basement of a house in the village of Saint-Martin-d’Ordon, Yonne Department, after heavy rain on Sunday 29 May 2016.
Photos of the Paris Floods, June 2016
B - Nemours, Seine-et-Marne
C - Souppes sur Loing, Seine-et-Marne
Loing River at Episy - June 1 to June 1, 2016
Loing River at Nemours - June 1 to June 1, 2016
As estimated by Association Française de l’assurance (AFA)