State media in North Korea report that floods in the north east of the country have damaged or destroyed hundreds of houses and forced 5,000 people to evacuate.
Flooding began after heavy rain in North and South Hamgyong provinces from 01 August 2021. State television said some areas recorded 580 mm of rain in 2 days, NK News reported.
On 05 August North Korea’s state TV said 1,170 houses have been damaged or destroyed in South Hamgyong provinces, prompting thousands to evacuate. No casualties were reported. However, floods have damaged wide areas of farmland at a time of growing concerns about North Korea’s food security.
Over 20 people died and thousands of homes damaged by floods in the country in August last year. Dozens of people died in floods in September 2016 and again in September 2018.
We revealed extensive flood damage in North Korea using satellite imagery on Weds, now KCTV admits it with video of the broken bridges, destroyed homes and fields in the same exact areas
These images are in Sinhung main town and surrounding area https://t.co/5O8rHYrfio pic.twitter.com/sl9wJxZzTx
— Colin Zwirko (@ColinZwirko) August 6, 2021