6 Killed in Floods in Papua New Guinea

Six people – 5 children and a mother – were killed when flash floods struck in Jiwaka province in Papua New Guinea on Friday 27 February 2015.

The victims were washed away by the flood waters of an overflowing river near to Kaip, a village, close to the border with Western Highlands province.

Around 200 families were affected by the flooding in the area. Jiwaka Provincial Disaster Coordinator and Deputy Provincial Administrator Mr Joseph Amban told local media:

“As a result of the flood up to 200 families were affected and are in need of relief assistance as their food gardens were destroyed by the flood. Domestic animals other properties were also lost.”

Jiwaka province was formed in 2012 and comprises of districts that were previously part of Western Highlands Province.

Recent flooding and landslides have caused damage to homes, roads and farms in the Western and Southern Highlands, Central Province as well as Jiwaka. Roads in the Highlands region have been particularly badly affected. Papua New Guinea’s National Disaster Office said it is still trying to fully asses the damage.

Further Rainfall Expected

Heavy rain has been falling across the country for several days and could be on the way. Rabaul, East New Britain province, saw 62mm of rain in 24 hours between 02 and 03 march 2015, according to WMO.

Papua New Guinea’s National Weather Service have said that rainfall will be at its peak during March, with the Highlands region expected to be worst hit.

Two people died after floods in Kimbe and across the province of West New Britain in early February this year.