Officials in Spain say that 4 people died in the flash floods that struck in southern areas of the country on Monday 07 September 2015.
Initial reports said that one person died in the coastal town of Polopos, close to the city of Granada, after the victim’s vehicle was swept away by flood water.
Since then police and authorities say that 3 other people have been confirmed dead. A second victim was discovered drowned in a ravine close to the city of Alburiol in Granada province, and the body of a third person was discovered at a beach in Castell de Ferro on Tuesday.
On Wednesday, the body of a fourth victim was discovered on a beach between the towns of Castell and Calahonda.
Spain’s Protección Civil y Emergencias said that the worst affected areas were along the coast of the provinces of Valencia, Alicante, Granada and Almería. Several of the popular tourist areas were affected, with floods reported in Benidorm, Torremolinos and Malaga.
No further heavy rain is expected in the flood-hit provinces of the south. However, Spain’s meteorological agency AEMET, have issued a mid-level warning (Yellow) for storms and rainfall over the coming weekend (12 September) for the provinces of Huesca, Navarra and Zaragoza.
Feature photo: Flood rescue in Spain. Photo: UME