Dealing With Mold After a Flood in Your Home

Mold can be a health hazard in any home or building that has been recently flooded. Mold growth can begin just 48 hours after the materials in the home become wet.

The Centers of Disease Control and Prevention say that, “Studies of mold growth on building materials, such as plywood, have found that mold grows on materials that remain wet for 48-72 hours.” They go on to warn that:

“Flooding, particularly when floodwaters remain for days or weeks, provides an almost optimal opportunity for mold growth.”

Jack White, Vice President of Technical Services at Rainbow International, explained further. “In order for mold to grow, it needs food (organic materials), time (48-72 hours), temperature (68-86°F), stagnant air, and moisture. Maintaining the relative humidity below 50 percent and eliminating water leaks will prevent mold from growing in your home.”

Potential Health Hazard

Furthermore, mold is a potential health hazard to anyone who comes in contact with it. Headaches, breathing difficulties, persistent cough, cold symptoms, burning or irritation of the eyes, nose, throat or lungs, asthma attacks, skin irritation, and allergic reactions are all common symptoms people experience when mold is present in a home.

Rainbow International has professionally trained and certified technicians able to deal with flood damage and mold. Jack White said “Our restoration experts engage in extensive training. They are skilled in the latest restoration and cleaning techniques and equipment.”

A flood in the home can provide the perfect conditions for mold to grow.
A flood in the home can provide the perfect conditions for mold to grow.

Dealing With Mold in the Home

Rainbow International say it’s important to get to the exact source of the mold problem with a proper assessment from a professional. Act quickly when water leaks occur in the home, and where possible, try to keep relative humidity in the home below 50 percent.

A good contractor will be able to mitigate the damage and assure the home is dried properly. But to tell if you are contacting the right professional restoration contractor? Rainbow International recommend that the contractor is certified by the Institute of Inspection Cleaning & Restoration Certification (IICRC).

Sadly mold removal is not as simple as cleaning moldy materials with household cleaners such as bleach. It may require aggressive cleaning, hence the need for a professional. You might also need throw out some items that have mold, such as carpets, sofas and other furniture for example.

Floods can cause considerable damage in any home.
Floods can cause considerable damage in any home.

About Rainbow International

Rainbow International has professionally trained and certified technicians that are ready to clean any disaster, 24 hours a day and 7 days a week. Rainbow offers disaster relief with fire, water and mold. For information on dealing with mold and preventing the spread of it in your home, contact your local Rainbow International or visit RainbowIntl.com.